We live in a very self-centered and selfish culture. Very few people are as concerned about others as they are about themselves. I know we can only give what we have, and therefore we must take care to be healthy, prosperous, and well put together. However, nowadays it seems we’ve all but forgotten what it means to live our lives in the service of others.
On this episode, I want to talk about Developing a Heart of Giving: 10 Ways You Can Serve Others and Make A Difference.
1. Slow Down & Pay Attention
- There are needs all around you every day.
- There are people who simply need a smile, a hello, a warm hug, or a helping hand.
- Take a deep breath, slow down, and develop a discipline of awareness.
2. Extend a Kind Gesture
- Open the door for someone.
- Help someone with their luggage as they board a plane.
- Pat someone on the back.
- Tell someone to have a wonderful day.
- Say, “Thank you!”
3. Share a Compliment or Word of Affirmation
- Tell the store clerk what a great job they’re doing.
- Better yet, ask them to call their manager over, and compliment them in front of their manager.
- Tell your employees when they do good.
4. Buy Someone’s Meal, Coffee, or Even Their Groceries
5. Clean House & Give All the STUFF You Don’t Need or Wear to the Salvation Army or Other Agency
- Every one of us has 10 times what we need in our closet.
- Coats, pants, shirts, blouses, dresses, shoes.
- There are many legitimate and worthy charities that take our unnecessary belongings and help others with them.
6. Give Money to Someone In Need
- Be led by the Holy Spirit or listen to your inner voice.
- Sponsor a child (Compassion International, World Vision, Samaritans Purse).
- Wounded Warrior Project
7. Sponsor a Family For The Holidays
- We really don’t NEED anything, so why not:
- Buy groceries and gifts for a family who is less fortunate than yours.
- Make this a tradition and do for someone else BEFORE you do for your own.
8. Act of Service
- Serving the homeless
- Ministering to and helping pregnant teens
- Visiting the elderly and shut-in
- Sending gifts to our servicemen and servicewomen
- Volunteering for charities and agencies
9. Just Being There For Friends In Need
- Taking time to visit and listen
- Sacrificing your social time for valuable relationships
- Re-arranging your life to be available for others
10. Be Purposeful & Intentional About Developing YOUR Attitude of Giving
- Ask . . . . How can I serve someone today?
- Look . . . For opportunities to do good.
- Listen . . For moments to speak an encouraging word.
- Lead . . . By doing what others are not willing to do.
Questions to Ask Yourself:
- How can you be intentional about developing a heart of giving today?
Subscribe to the Podcast
If you have enjoyed this podcast, please subscribe:
- Subscribe to our updates at www.BrianHolmes.com
- Subscribe to the podcast via iTunes, Stitcher, Blackberry, Zune, or other services.
Share the Love
I’d also be grateful if you would RATE OUR PODCAST ON iTunes. That helps tremendously with making my podcast visible, so people who have never heard it can discover it. I’m grateful. Share this with your friends and associates on Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, Google+, etc.
Until next time, remember … You were made in His image, designed for a purpose, and are destined for greatness. The world is waiting for the REAL YOU to show up. God Bless!