Anthony de Mello shares a story of an eaglet who’s egg was found by a farmer and placed in a chicken’s nest. The eagle spent its life thinking and believing it was a chicken, rather than ever venturing out to discover who it really was. This story captures what can happen if we don’t effectively and regularly assess the relationships we have in our lives.
We’re going to address this very issue today as we talk about Relationship Inventory: Evaluating the Health & Value of Your Relationships.
“You are the average of the five people you spend the most time with.” ~ Jim Rohn
Characteristics of Healthy Relationships:
- The other person involved in your life is committed to your overall growth.
- This person is as concerned about YOUR well-being and personal health as you are.
- You should NEVER be in the position of always having to be the giver.
- A healthy relationship gives and receives with joy.
- A healthy and meaningful relationship does not ever cause you to violate your conscience, or walk against the plan and will of God for your life.
- A healthy relationship does not manipulate through anger or control, but rather, it motivates through love.
The Law of Association:
He that walks with wise men will be wise, but the companion of fools will suffer harm (or destruction).
1 Corinthians 15:33
Do not be deceived and misled! Evil companionships corrupt and deprave good manners and moral character.
The 7 Quality Characteristics of a Healthy, Life-Giving Relationship:
- Love (as thyself)
- Honor (celebration of difference)
- Truth, Honesty & Integrity
- Mutual Respect
- Covenant (faithfulness, loyalty, commitment)
- Reciprocity (an exchange of life)
1. Subscribe to our weekly email update on brianholmes.com
2. Continue this conversation on Facebook! What relationships do you have in your life and realize they are NOT healthy, life-giving relationships?
Ask Me A Question
If you have a question, comment, thought or concern, you can share those with me by clicking below or leave your comments (bottom of this post) and dialogue with others as they work towards their own freedom and development.
1. The Ties That Bind online course is live!
The cart closes for this course on October 31st.
During the course, you will receive:
- Access to the course
- The Ties That Bind Book
- Course Study Guide
- Course Transcripts – we took the notes for you!
- All 6 session audios
- BONUS: Healing the Broken Soul
Visit BrianHolmes.com/ties for more details and course information.
Subscribe to the Podcast
If you have enjoyed this podcast, please subscribe:
- Subscribe to our updates at www.BrianHolmes.com
- Subscribe to the podcast via iTunes, Stitcher, Blackberry, Zune, or other services.
Share the Love
I’d also be grateful if you would RATE OUR PODCAST ON iTunes. That helps tremendously with making my podcast visible, so people who have never heard it can discover it. I’m grateful. Share this with your friends and associates on Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, Google+, etc.
Until next time, remember … You were made in His image, designed for a purpose, and are destined for greatness. The world is waiting for the REAL YOU to show up. God Bless!