Are you STUCK in a cycle of grieving over something that has happened to you? Are you holding on to anger, resentment, or bitterness over a wrong that was committed in your life? Are you ready to be FREE of what has been holding you back?
As we are all about living life strategically, we must know that that requires us to live our life HONESTLY. We must be willing to grapple with those issues of the heart that are keeping us from moving forward. As we discussed in Episode #041, this is a matter of the SOUL, and the soul must be whole if our lives are to manifest our full potential.
In this episode, we are going to share with you ‘The Power of Forgiveness’.
Matthew 6:12, 14-15
12. And forgive us our debts AS WE ALSO forgive our debtors 14. For IF you forgive others for their transgressions, THEN your heavenly Father will also forgive you. 15. BUT if you do not forgive others, then your Father will not forgive your trespasses
This passage is quite amazing and daunting at the same time. The implication of this text is that God’s ability, capacity, and willingness to release freedom and forgiveness TO me is proportionate, and tied directly to my ability, capacity, and willingness to forgive others. Unforgiveness, then, becomes a monumental liability in my life; given the fact that I am unable to make progress when my wagon is laden with things I have consciously CHOSEN to hold on to.
Then Peter came and said to Him, “Lord, how often shall my brother sin against me and I forgive him? Up to seven times?” Jesus said to him, “I do not say to you, up to seven times, but up to seventy times seven. “For this reason the kingdom of heaven may be compared to a king who wished to settle accounts with his slaves.”When he had begun to settle them, one who owed him ten thousand talents was brought to him. “But since he did not have the means to repay, his lord commanded him to be sold, along with his wife and children and all that he had, and repayment to be made. “So the slave fell to the ground and prostrated himself before him, saying, ‘Have patience with me and I will repay you everything.’ “And the lord of that slave felt compassion and released him and forgave him the debt. “But that slave went out and found one of his fellow slaves who owed him a hundred denarii; and he seized him and began to choke him, saying, ‘Pay back what you owe.’ “So his fellow slave fell to the ground and began to plead with him, saying, ‘Have patience with me and I will repay you.’ “But he was unwilling and went and threw him in prison until he should pay back what was owed. “So when his fellow slaves saw what had happened, they were deeply grieved and came and reported to their lord all that had happened. “Then summoning him, his lord said to him, ‘You wicked slave, I forgave you all that debt because you pleaded with me. Should you not also have had mercy on your fellow slave, in the same way that I had mercy on you?’ “And his lord, moved with anger, handed him over to the torturers until he should repay all that was owed him. “My heavenly Father will also do the same to you, if each of you does not forgive his brother from your heart.”
The word FORGIVE in the original (Greek) language means:
- To send away or let off
- To pardon, or to remit
- To overlook an offense
- To treat the offender as if they were NOT GUILTY
Could it be that the reason some people are so ANGRY and FRUSTRATED in their lives is because they have been turned over to the TORMENTORS? Could it be that they know NOTHING of the peace of God because in the past somewhere they made a CHOICE…they refused to offer true genuine forgiveness to their brother of sister?
Unforgiveness binds us with BITTERNESS, and ANGER and robs us of joy, happiness, and freedom. The greatest hindrance in forgiving others comes out of our lack of willingness to take and HONEST look at ourselves and our need for forgiveness. When we begin to recognize and acknowledge OUR deep need for forgiveness, it will not be difficult to offer forgiveness to someone else.
22 And Jesus answered saying to them, “Have faith in God. 23 “Truly I say to you, whoever says to this mountain, ‘Be taken up and cast into the sea,’ and does not doubt in his heart, but believes that what he says is going to happen, it will be granted him. 24 “Therefore I say to you, all things for which you pray and ask, believe that you have received them, and they will be granted you. 25 “Whenever you stand praying, forgive, if you have anything against anyone, so that your Father who is in heaven will also forgive you your transgressions. 26 “But if you do not forgive, neither will your Father who is in heaven forgive your transgressions.”
Ask yourself these questions:
- Am I being completely HONEST about areas of unforgiveness in my life?
- Am I tired of carrying the burden of this weight?
- Why aren’t my prayers being answered?
- Will I choose to be FREE?
- Have I truly forgiven that person or persons?
- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. (Phil. 4:13)
- ALL THINGS are possible to them that believe…(Mark 9:23)
- My ability to forgive determines my ability to be forgiven/saved
- Being honest in all areas of my life is the most difficult task I have, especially being honest with myself.
- It is impossible to be honest with others, if I am not honest with myself.
- I cannot change what I am not willing to acknowledge
- God can not violate my will
- Name the person(s)
- Acknowledge that there are unresolved issues in YOUR heart
- Pray and ask God to give you the grace and courage to let them go
- Release them from the cord of your Unforgiveness
- YOU, be released from the prison of your Unforgiveness
- Forgive, let them go, and remember no more
- Be free, and allow that place in your heart to heal
1. LIVE WEBINAR: ‘Change Your Mind, Change Your World’ – Join me on Wednesday, June 11th at 7:00pm at BrianHolmes.com/teleseminar
2. DFW Mastermind: If you are interested in being a part of a Mastermind group in the Dallas/Ft. Worth area, please contact me HERE
3. Become A Coaching Client – I still have several openings for personal coaching clients. If you would like to have ME coach you in your business, general life strategies, or in any other area, please CONTACT ME for a free 30 minute consultation.
4. If you would like to have me speak at your church, conference, or event, please visit my speaking page at www.brianholmes.com/speaking
How can you join the conversation and be a part?
- Subscribe to our updates at www.BrianHolmes.com
- Subscribe to the podcast via iTunes, Stitcher, Blackberry, Zune, or other services.
- Share this with your friends and associates on Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, Google+, etc.
- Leave your comments (bottom of this post) and dialogue with others as they work towards their own freedom and development
I trust that something we’ve shared today has challenged you to pursue God’s very best for your life, be healed from the past, be transformed in your mind and heart, and be activated to fulfill your unique purpose and destiny. If you’d like to COMMENT ON THIS EPISODE, please go to BrianHolmes.com, go to the show notes for this episode and scroll down to the comments section. I would love to hear from you— comment, question, or whatever.
I’d also be grateful if you would RATE OUR PODCAST ON iTunes. That helps tremendously with making my podcast visible, so people who have never heard it can discover it. I’m grateful.
“Until next time, remember … You were made in His image, designed for a purpose, and are destined for greatness. God Bless!