Every one of us are wired to dream and to have vision. Without VISION (some idea where you are going), we literally begin to die or perish. There is this idea that ‘if you don’t aim at some target, you are sure to hit it. In other words, if there is not a visually and emotionally compelling focus or GOAL for which I am directing my energy, my heart, my mind, my work, my efforts, my LIFE, I am relegated to wandering aimlessly and accomplishing little. Another idea is that we are pre-destined (DESTINY) or destination. We believe that God has designed EACH of us with a unique purpose and calling, and specifically wired us and equipped us FOR that assignment.
All of these principles are true and accurate, YET, why is it that so few people actually ever experience the FULL expression of what God really has for them. In this episode, I want to share with you a process for become clear on VISION, setting goals, effective planning and execution.
“The greater danger for most of us lies not in setting our aim too high and falling short, but in setting our aim too low and achieving our mark.” – Michelangelo, Artist
Premise #1 – God Has Plans
For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, saith the LORD, thoughts of peace, and not of evil, to give you an expected end. (KJV)
For I know the plans that I have for you,’ declares the LORD, ‘plans for welfare and not for calamity to give you a future and a hope. (NASB)
Premise #2 His plans are for my SUCCESS
John 10:1-15 (New Living Translation)
6 Those who heard Jesus use this illustration didn’t understand what he meant, 7 so he explained it to them: “I tell you the truth, I am the gate for the sheep. 8 All who came before me were thieves and robbers. But the true sheep did not listen to them. 9 Yes, I am the gate. Those who come in through me will be saved. They will come and go freely and will find good pastures. 10 The thief’s purpose is to steal and kill and destroy. My purpose is to give them a rich and satisfying life.
Premise #3 Life is a Choice
Deuteronomy 30:14-19 (NASB)
15 “See, I have set before you today life and prosperity, and death and adversity; 16 in that I command you today to love the LORD your God, to walk in His ways and to keep His commandments and His statutes and His judgments, that you may live and multiply, and that the LORD your God may bless you in the land where you are entering to possess it. 17 But if your heart turns away and you will not obey, but are drawn away and worship other gods and serve them, 18 I declare to you today that you shall surely perish. You will not prolong your days in the land where you are crossing the Jordan to enter and possess it. 19 I call heaven and earth to witness against you today, that I have set before you life and death, the blessing and the curse. So choose life in order that you may live, you and your descendants,
What Does It Mean to Live Intentionally or Strategically?
Strategy: A plan, method, or series of maneuvers or stratagems for obtaining a specific goal or result
Living: Having life; being alive; not dead: active or thriving; vigorous; strong: flowing freely: a particular manner, state, or status of life: luxurious living.
Strategic Living: The vigorous and free flowing pursuit of being alive, while actively crafting and working with dreams, plans, stratagems, methods, and acquired skills to achieve a pre-determined result.
- Strategic Living is knowing God’s plan, and living it!
- Strategic Living is not happenstance or hopeful randomness
- Strategic Living is not flying by the seat of the pants
- Strategic Living is not the repetition of purposeless activity
- Strategic Living is the process and procedure of manifesting the plans of God through intentional and systematic movement
- Strategic Living is the substance of managing and stewarding my God-given potential
- Strategic Living is INTENTIONAL LIVING!
HOW DO I GO ABOUT THIS?
There are several major components to living a successful life:
- Values List
- Passions List
- Talents, Skills, Abilities List
- Where these components intersect and meet
- Major Sphere you are called to engage
- Purpose/Mission Statement
- Vision/Destiny Statement
- Major Goals List (Determined by Vision)
- Intermediate Goals (Determined by major goals)
- Short-Term Goals (Determined by intermediate goals)
Remember, Strategic Living is about INTENTIONAL living. It is about living my day to day life in such a way that I am consistently DOING what needs to be done in order that I might BECOME what I was created to be. It is about THINKING it out, PLANNING it out, and WALKING it out.
“Reduce your plan to writing. The moment you complete this, you will have definitely given concrete form to the intangible desire.” – Napoleon Hill
“If you don’t design your own life plan, chances are you’ll fall into someone else’s plan. And guess what they have planned for you? Not much.” – Jim Rohn
The plans of the diligent lead surely to advantage, but everyone who is hasty comes surely to poverty. – Proverbs 21:5
Things to consider when building your Life Plan:
- Know Thyself!
- Be clear about the vision God has given you
- Do not limit yourself to past successes or failures
- Identify the BIG ROCKS (Goals)
- Think …Plan…Execute
- Strive to have BALANCE in all areas of life:
- Family and Home
- Financial and Career
- Spiritual and Ethical
- Physical and Health
- Social and Cultural
- Mental and Educational
DOWNLOAD GOAL WORKSHEET HERE
“Goals are dreams with deadlines.” – Diana Scharf Hunt
“First, have a definite, clear practical ideal; a goal, an objective. Second, have the necessary means to achieve your ends; wisdom, money, materials, and methods. Third, adjust all your means to that end.” – Aristotle
“Goals are meaningless and ultimately powerless unless directly related to, associated with, and divinely connected to your values, passions, interests, and personal purpose.” – Brian A. Holmes
“The more intensely we feel about an idea or a goal, the more assuredly the idea, buried deep in our subconscious, will direct us along the path to its fulfillment.” – Earl Nightingale
1. LIVE WEBINAR: ‘Becoming A Leader That Others Want To Follow’ – Join me on Wednesday, April 16th at 7:00pm at BrianHolmes.com/teleseminar
2. New Beginnings LIVE Workshop: Coming To Houston, Texas!
- How to let go of your past (once and for all)
- How to re-ignite your dreams
- How to develop a strategic plan
- Be activated for the new season God is bringing you into
- Be watching for DATES and LOCATION!
3. Become A Coaching Client – I still have several openings for personal coaching clients. If you would like to have ME coach you in your business, general life strategies, or in any other area, please CONTACT ME for a free 30 minute consultation.
4. If you would like to have me speak at your church, conference, or event, please visit my speaking page at www.brianholmes.com/speaking
How can you join the conversation and be a part?
- Subscribe to our updates at www.BrianHolmes.com
- Subscribe to the podcast via iTunes, Stitcher, Blackberry, Zune, or other services.
- Share this with your friends and associates on Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, Google+, etc.
- Leave your comments (bottom of this post) and dialogue with others as they work towards their own freedom and development
I trust that something we’ve shared today has challenged you to pursue God’s very best for your life, be healed from the past, be transformed in your mind and heart, and be activated to fulfill your unique purpose and destiny. If you’d like to COMMENT ON THIS EPISODE, please go to BrianHolmes.com, go to the show notes for this episode and scroll down to the comments section. I would love to hear from you— comment, question, or whatever.
I’d also be grateful if you would RATE OUR PODCAST ON iTunes. That helps tremendously with making my podcast visible, so people who have never heard it can discover it. I’m grateful.
“Until next time, remember … You were made in His image, designed for a purpose, and are destined for greatness. God Bless!