Hi. My name is Brian Holmes, and I am a recovering people pleaser. But before you get your feathers ruffled, I’m willing to bet you’re one, too!
Why do so many of us struggle with this disease? What drives us to say yes when we know we shouldn’t? Is it possible to break free from people pleasing and performance-based acceptance?
In this episode, we’ll answer these questions and more as we talk about The Plague of People Pleasing and How You Can Break Free.
You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time.”
~ John Lydgate
What is the ROOT of this plague?
Most often, the people-pleasing tendency can be tracked back to a relationship or an event where one’s value was inherently linked to their performance.
What is the RESULT of this plague?
- We say yes when we know we should say no.
- We accept jobs that do not bring us satisfaction or benefit us financially.
- We make promises we can’t keep.
- We create an unsustainable life!
1. Do you have a hard time saying “no”?
2. Do you find yourself striving to meet what you perceive to be other people’s expectations?
3. Do you lose self-esteem when people criticize or question you?
4. Do you often find yourself trying to help people understand why you are doing what you are doing?
5. Do you feel as though you never measure up?
6. Are you consumed with seeking approval or recognition?
7. Are you a people pleaser?
7 Truths You Must Embrace:
1. You are loved, accepted, and approved of by God.
2. You have tremendous value.
3. Your value is not based on what you do, but who you are.
4. The people in your life will always have their expectations of you, but only you can determine what you expect from yourself.
5. People pleasing is a plague. It will only bring you misery, frustration, and less than success.
6. You cannot expect people to understand where you are or where you are going. They simply cannot.
7. “If you live for people’s acceptance, you will die from their rejection.” ~ LeCrae
Tips For Breaking Free:
- Unplug for a moment.
- Decompress and take the pressure off yourself.
- Evaluate by listing your gifts, talents, abilities, and qualities.
- Get Clarity. Who am I, and why am I here?
- Identify the areas you feel you need to please others.
- Ask. Why? What is the root of this need in me?
- Decide. I will resolve this root issue and I will no longer be driven by fear.
- Create boundaries. Make decisions ahead of time.
- Be Accountable.
- Practice “no”.
- We teach people how to treat us.
- Most people love you as long as you fit in the box they’ve created for you.
- Don’t be afraid to disappoint. Do what is right and let the chips fall where they may.
The 4 Cornerstones for Strategic Living: Our gift to you! Click the RED button in our sidebar for instant access!
Subscribe to the Podcast
If you have enjoyed this podcast, please subscribe:
- Subscribe to our updates at www.BrianHolmes.com
- Subscribe to the podcast via iTunes, Stitcher, Blackberry, Zune, or other services.
Share the Love
I’d also be grateful if you would RATE OUR PODCAST ON iTunes. That helps tremendously with making my podcast visible, so people who have never heard it can discover it. I’m grateful. Share this with your friends and associates on Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, Google+, etc.
Until next time, remember … You were made in His image, designed for a purpose, and are destined for greatness. The world is waiting for the REAL YOU to show up. God Bless!