What does it mean to be a Lifestyle Learner? How can you gain the knowledge and expertise in an area of interest? Is learning a VALUE, a DISCIPLINE, or both? Is it possible to gain a world class education outside of a university or college setting? Today, we’re going to be looking at these questions, and talking about 7 Ways You Can Become A Lifestyle Learner.
“Let the wise hear and increase in learning, and the one who understands seek guidance.” – Proverbs 1:5 (ESV)
“An intelligent heart acquires knowledge, and the ear of the wise seeks knowledge. – Proverbs 18:15 (ESV)
“Study to show thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not be ashamed …” – II Timothy 2:15 (KJV)
Becoming a lifelong learner begins with the understanding that the acquisition of new knowledge is the key to successful and effective living. In fact, the moment we suppose that we have arrived or know all we need to know, is the very moment we begin to diminish and become irrelevant and of no worth. Learning, growing, feeding our minds, developing our potential are all pre-requisites to significant opportunities coming our way
“Anyone who stops learning is OLD, whether at 20 or 80. Anyone who keeps learning stays young.” (Henry Ford).
For me, learning is one of my top 5 values. I crave knowing … I am always looking for ways to enhance or build my knowledge base. Classic thinking is that one goes to school, graduates, goes to college, gets a job, and BAM, success is inevitable. Amongst evangelical Christians, one gets saved, attends church once per week, hears a sermon (remembers less than 1% of the content shared), and expects to live a victorious, powerful, purpose filled, blessed life.
Both of these scenarios have very flawed logic.
- So how do I continuously grow and learn?
- How do I use my time to gather and acquire knowledge and information?
- What are my options if my desire is to become a learner?
7 Ways You Can Become a Knowledge Gatherer and a Lifestyle Learner:
1. Read Books, Audio Books or Book Summaries
2. Listen to Podcasts and other Audio Programs
- Any subject, and interest
- Make your vehicle a University on Wheels
3. Read Blogs
5. Attend conferences and workshops
- Health and Wellness
- Leadership Summits
- Real Estate
- Specialized areas
- Who is already doing what you want to do?
- What experts do you admire?
- Get in their space, take them to lunch
I want to encourage you today to become a LIFESTYLE LEARNER. Turn off the TV, plug in a CD, DVD, or electronic resource and LEARN. Turn off Sports Radio, Talk Shows, and use the precious time you have to GROW YOUR MIND.
Many times, the reason people never realize their full potential is because God, in his graciousness, never put us in a position where we would shame ourselves by not being prepared for the moment. You have powerful potential … What will you do with it?
1. New Beginnings LIVE Workshop: Coming To Houston, Texas!
- How to let go of your past (once and for all)
- How to re-ignite your dreams
- How to develop a strategic plan
- Be activated for the new season God is bringing you into
- Be watching for DATES and LOCATION!
3. Become A Coaching Client – I still have several openings for personal coaching clients. If you would like to have ME coach you in your business, general life strategies, or in any other area, please CONTACT ME for a free 30 minute consultation.
4. If you would like to have me speak at your church, conference, or event, please visit my speaking page at www.brianholmes.com/speaking
How can you join the conversation and be a part?
- Subscribe to our updates at www.BrianHolmes.com
- Subscribe to the podcast via iTunes, Stitcher, Blackberry, Zune, or other services.
- Share this with your friends and associates on Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, Google+, etc.
- Leave your comments (bottom of this post) and dialogue with others as they work towards their own freedom and development
I trust that something we’ve shared today has challenged you to pursue God’s very best for your life, be healed from the past, be transformed in your mind and heart, and be activated to fulfill your unique purpose and destiny.
If you’d like to COMMENT ON THIS EPISODE, please go to BrianHolmes.com, go to the show notes for this episode and scroll down to the comments section. I would love to hear from you— comment, question, or whatever.
I’d also be grateful if you would RATE OUR PODCAST ON iTunes. That helps tremendously with making my podcast visible, so people who have never heard it can discover it. I’m grateful.
“Until next time, remember … You were made in His image, designed for a purpose, and are destined for greatness. God Bless!