- Are you happy with the results you’ve experienced in 2013?
- Did you accomplish the goals you set this time last year?
- Are you satisfied with the relationships you have in your life?
- Do you feel like you just can’t escape the past?
- Are you ready for a fresh start? A RE-BOOT?
- Can you see the future that God sees for you?
On this episode, we will be talking about Preparing for the New Year: ‘5 Steps You Can Take To Ensure A Great New Beginning’
Jeremiah 29:11 (NET)
11 For I know what I have planned for you,’ says the Lord. ‘I have plans to prosper you, not to harm you. I have plans to give you a future filled with hope.
Another year has come and gone. It is at this time every year that we reflect, ponder our present state, and for many, we look forward to what lies ahead. Time is really a continuum, and a date on the calendar doesn’t really constitute some magical do-over opportunity, but, around the world, people consider a ‘new year’ a threshold; a starting place; another chance; a new beginning. As we approach another new year, we all dream of experiencing greater blessing, prosperity, goals reached, etc. The problem with dreaming is that if all we do is dream, nothing really changes.
“Nothing changes unless something changes” – Brian Holmes
How you leave one place or season is how you enter the next. If we want to see a different 2014, we must look at what got us here. If we want to see a more prosperous and successful new year, we will need to assess, address, and make necessary changes in order to see progress.
So, how do we prepare for a NEW BEGINNING? How do we enter the new place?
5 Steps You Can Take To Ensure A Great New Beginning
I want to propose a 5 Step Process that will give you a jump start on your new year. It is a process designed to help you re-boot; start over; begin again; but this time, with more clarity and more purpose. Let’s look at it together …
Step #1 Let Go Of The Past
- Past failures and mistakes
- Past hurts
- Past relationships that no longer serve your desired future
- Not everyone can go with you into your next season
Step #2 Examine Your Heart
The Bible tells us in Proverbs 23:7 that, “As a man thinketh in his heart so is he …”. The principle here is that what I believe to be true about my life, my worth, my money, my future, is exactly what will manifest in my life. So at the very core of the equation is, “What are my present thoughts and beliefs about my life and future?” Is my mind working for me, or against me? Does my heart agree with my head? Many people believe that they can confess their way to the realization of their dreams and goals. In fact, confession or affirmation is vital to the equation, but is incomplete if one’s heart doesn’t really believe what the mouth is affirming.
It is important to confess with your mouth, but it is imperative that you believe with your heart! If your heart is not in agreement with your words (or if you do not really believe on the inside what you are projecting on the outside), it is a fruitless exercise, and will create frustration and disappointment. So, I must examine my heart.
- Are there thoughts or beliefs held there that are toxic to my faith?
- Do I have unforgiveness or bitterness there that is affecting my productivity?
- Do I have limiting beliefs or limited vision that is actively working against what I truly desire for my life?
Step #3 Know Thyself – Set Your Expectations
Most people never invest time in discovering who they really are, or in identifying what it is they really want in life. I firmly believe that every human being is created by God with a destiny and purpose that has already been determined. In other words, God made me with an end in mind. In order for me to tap into the potential and greatness that He sees in me, I must align my mind and my heart with His plan and His will for my life. This involves the process of self-discovery. In this process, we seek to find answers to questions such as:
1. Who Am I?
2. What do I value?
3. What are my passions?
4. What is my assignment and purpose?
5. What do I want?
6. What are my dreams?
7. What are my goals?
8. What is it that I want to accomplish?
Once you have answered these questions, then, and only then, will you have a clear compass or direction for your future. If necessary, hire a Life Coach who can assist you in discovering, identifying, and clarifying these important components.
Step #4 Develop A Strategic Plan
Albert Einstein once said, “Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result”.
The truth is that even though we all ‘want’ better results, and we desire to see our future improve, we often are stuck in the quagmire of old habits and behavioral patterns that limit us to the same outcomes we’ve always experienced. We have to take action, but not just any action. We have to take strategic action; action that will move us toward our stated goals and dreams. How do we do this?
- Write down your goals … BE SPECIFIC
- Break them down into long term, short term, and immediate action steps
- Identify the resources you have available to you now
- Identify the resources you do NOT have available to you
- Identify the necessary steps you will have to take to acquire those resources
- Plan your weekly action steps
- Plan you daily action steps
Step #5 START!
Before you can be great, you have to be good; before you can be good, you have to be so-so; before you can be so-so, you have to be pretty bad; before you can be bad, you gotta just do something!
So many people I know are waiting for God to show up, and miraculously make something happen. Others are waiting for fate or good fortune. Some are waiting for their ship to roll in, and others are just waiting.
In the of faith and religion, many profess a faith that God is going to bless them, prosper them, or release a miracle. While I believe with deep conviction in a God who loves us, and is a blesser of His children, I also believe what His Word says … “Faith without works is dead …” You see, I must put action with my faith. I must believe what God believes about me, and then act in accordance with that belief.
In 2014, I encourage you to come off the sidelines and engage this wonderful game we call life. God has PLANS for you; He has blessed, and He has given you His promises, but YOU must now put action to your faith so that you can know the success and joy He has designated for your life.
1. Let go of the past
2. Examine Your Heart
3. Know Thyself – Set Your Expectations
4. Develop a Strategic Plan
Purpose in your heart today …
- You will not go in to 2014 carrying the weights of the past
- You will not go in carrying unforgiveness, bitterness, or frustration
- You WILL go in knowing that God has great plans for your life; plans for your success, your happiness, your prosperity, and a marvelous future
- You WILL go in knowing who you are; what you want; with clear dreams, and with a clear plan
- You WILL engage your calling and your purpose, and you WILL DO the work necessary to se those dreams come to pass
- Become A Coaching Client – I still have several openings for personal coaching clients. If you would like to have ME coach you in your business, general life strategies, or in any other area, please CONTACT ME for a free 30 minute consultation.
- If you would like to have me speak at your church, conference, or event, please visit my speaking page at www.brianholmes.com/speaking
- New Beginnings LIVE Workshop: January 25th – Dallas, Texas
- How to let go of your past (once and for all)
- How to re-ignite your dreams
- How to develop a strategic plan for 2014 and beyond
- Be activated for the new season God is bringing you into
- Available online in February 2014
- Available for audio download in February 2014
- For more information, visit www.BrianHolmes.com/newbeginnings
How can you join the conversation and be a part?
- Subscribe to our updates at www.BrianHolmes.com
- Subscribe to the podcast via iTunes, Stitcher, Blackberry, Zune, or other services.
- Share this with your friends and associates on Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, Google+, etc.
- Leave your comments (bottom of this post) and dialogue with others as they work towards their own freedom and development
I trust that something we’ve shared today has challenged you to pursue God’s very best for your life, be healed from the past, be transformed in your mind and heart, and be activated to fulfill your unique purpose and destiny.
If you’d like to COMMENT ON THIS EPISODE, please go to BrianHolmes.com, go to the show notes for this episode and scroll down to the comments section. I would love to hear from you— comment, question, or whatever.
I’d also be grateful if you would RATE OUR PODCAST ON iTunes. That helps tremendously with making my podcast visible, so people who have never heard it can discover it. I’m grateful.
“Until next time, remember … You were made in His image, designed for a purpose, and are destined for greatness. God Bless!