- How often do you take time to consider the blessings in your life?
- Are you a chronic complainer? Is the glass always half-empty?
- How often do you express your gratefulness for others, or even TO others?
- Do you have an attitude of gratitude?
On this episode, we will be talking about Developing An Attitude of Thankfulness
Bless the LORD, O my soul, And all that is within me, bless His holy name. Bless the LORD, O my soul, And forget none of His benefits; Who pardons all your iniquities, Who heals all your diseases; Who redeems your life from the pit, Who crowns you with lovingkindness and compassion; Who satisfies your years with good things, So that your youth is renewed like the eagle. The LORD performs righteous deeds And judgments for all who are oppressed. He made known His ways to Moses, His acts to the sons of Israel. The LORD is compassionate and gracious, Slow to anger and abounding in lovingkindness. He will not always strive with us, Nor will He keep His anger forever. He has not dealt with us according to our sins, Nor rewarded us according to our iniquities. For as high as the heavens are above the earth, So great is His lovingkindness toward those who fear Him. As far as the east is from the west, So far has He removed our transgressions from us. Just as a father has compassion on his children, So the LORD has compassion on those who fear Him. ~ Psalm 103:1-13
When one travels abroad, you get a perspective on things that is very different that what you are accustomed to. You realize we have slipped into a mindset that is far from grateful. It seems we have developed in our American culture a non-thankful attitude towards so many areas of life. We are quick to complain, but slow to show gratitude. We fuss over insignificant things, and rarely take the time to appreciate the simple things. We tend to take for granted so many of God’s blessings, and our hearts most often are focused on negativity, rather than the good in someone or something.
Today, I want to lead you by example, and in some way (I pray), inspire your heart to be turned towards THANKSGIVING.
David’s Heart of Thankfulness
In Psalm 103, David gives us a wonderful track to run on, as there are specific things for which he expresses his thankfulness.
David says …
- I am thankful FIRST to God, because He is God
- He is the One who CREATED me
- He is the one who leads me
- I am HIS possession (the sheep of His pasture
- He loves me
- He is ever faithful towards me
- He pardons all my iniquities
- Heals all my diseases
- Redeems me from the pit
- Crowns me with loving-kindness and compassion
- Satisfies my years with good things
- My youth is renewed like the eagle
- He performs righteous deeds and judgments on my behalf
- He is compassionate towards me
- He is gracious towards me
- He is slow to anger, and abounds in love
My Personal Thanksgiving:
- My relationship with God
- My wife, Sabrina – She is my friend, my lover, and my partner for life
- Great relationships with my children
- Christian – His heart; his love for God; his leadership; and his compassion
- Abigail – Her heart for God; my worshiper; her sensitivity to other’s needs; my baby girl
- My mom – I am so thankful that she is still with me, and that we have become closer than ever before
- George and Sadie (my in-laws) – They are sweet, compassionate, giving, and supportive. It is an honor to serve them in this season
- Timothy (my brother-in-law) – He is a gentle giant, hard working, loves God, a friend to Sabrina, and loyal.
- Bishop Tudor and Pastor ChiChi Bismark – Where would I be if not for this relationship.
- My pastor, Dr. Richard Heard – He is a friend, a father, a mentor coach.
- My CIWC Family – For 11 years, we have served a wonderful group of people. I am thankful for each one of them
- Old friends – Swindle’s, Blantons, Harris’s, Garcias, Dan Dean, Andrade’s, and so many others.
- Mentors and Friends: John Coon, Bishop G, Mike Massa, etc.
- Great Working Relationships – Leona, Hannah, Matthew, Shuronda, and more
- New Relationships – Cliff Ravenscraft, Ray Edwards, Michael Hyatt, John Morgan, Ken Davis, Michelle Cushatt, etc.
- Health, quality, and longevity of life
- Financial blessing and provision
- A beautiful home that is a sanctuary from the busy-ness of life
- My new car – A great car, immaculate condition, no debt
- Influence and Favor – Romania, Africa, churches, etc.
- A new and growing platform that God is helping to build
- A sharp mind, the gift of counsel and wisdom, and creative problem solving abilities
- Opportunities and desire to learn: SCORRE, Platform, Launch, Dan Miller, Books, Programs, etc.
- My passions, personality, propensity to dream, and my drive
- The gift of flying, and a fleet of purposeful aircraft.
- I am thankful that my success and fulfilling God’s plan on my life is not dependent on anyone or anything except ME
MY CHALLENGE TO YOU:
- This week, take a few minutes each day to consider what you are thankful for
- Write it down on a list or in a journal
- If you are thankful for a person, tell them. Write them a card, and E-Mail, or call them and let them know
- Read these each day (outloud) during thanksgiving week
- Thank God each day for the things you are grateful for
Shout joyfully to the LORD, all the earth. Serve the LORD with gladness; Come before Him with joyful singing. Know that the LORD Himself is God; It is He who has made us, and not we ourselves; We are His people and the sheep of His pasture. Enter His gates with thanksgiving And His courts with praise; Give thanks to Him, bless His name. For the LORD is good; His lovingkindness is everlasting; And His faithfulness to all generations. ~ Psalm 100
- Become A Coaching Client – I still have several openings for personal coaching clients. If you would like to have ME coach you in your business, general life strategies, or in any other area, please CONTACT ME for a free 30 minute consultation.
- If you would like to have me speak at your church, conference, or event, please visit my speaking page at www.brianholmes.com/speaking
- Become a Certified Professional Coach – For information about our LIVE class, or, for information about our One-to-One Online training, please visit www.brianholmes.com/become-a-certified-professional-coach
- New Beginnings Workshop: Early 2014 – Be watching for the dates. We will be teaching you
- How to let go of your past (once and for all)
- How to re-ignite your dreams
- How to develop a strategic plan for 2014
- You will be activated for the new season God is bringing you into.
How can you join the conversation and be a part?
- Subscribe to our updates at www.BrianHolmes.com
- Subscribe to the podcast via iTunes, Stitcher, Blackberry, Zune, or other services.
- Share this with your friends and associates on Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, Google+, etc.
- Leave your comments (bottom of this post) and dialogue with others as they work towards their own freedom and development
I trust that something we’ve shared today has challenged you to pursue God’s very best for your life, be healed from the past, be transformed in your mind and heart, and be activated to fulfill your unique purpose and destiny.
If you’d like to COMMENT ON THIS EPISODE, please go to BrianHolmes.com, go to the show notes for this episode and scroll down to the comments section. I would love to hear from you— comment, question, or whatever.
I’d also be grateful if you would RATE OUR PODCAST ON iTunes. That helps tremendously with making my podcast visible, so people who have never heard it can discover it. I’m grateful.
“Until next time, remember … You were made in His image, designed for a purpose, and are destined for greatness. God Bless!